For the past of several years, Hannah Sanford has joined us at Enterprise Data World with the purpose of capturing the real-time knowledge transfer between data professionals during the in-depth presentations we host. As the speaker, or panel of speakers, discusses a topic, Hannah uses her unique style of visual communication to illustrate these shared thoughts and present them in a large-scale graphically recorded mural.
"As a graphic recorder, my role is to work quietly off to the side of the group. As each speaker talks, I listen keenly, quickly distill all the information, and capture the critical messages from each conversation in words, colors, and pictures on large, 4’x 8’ visual murals mounted on the wall." – Hannah Sanford
Check out Hannah's work at the 2019 Enterprise Data World
After her extensive work, experiences, and studies in microbiology at Harvard Medical School, the National Institute of Health, and Emergent BioSolutions, Hannah discovered a passion that combined both a love of the analytical world and her creative balance. This was the birth of her transition into the world of graphic facilitation, graphic recording, and strategic visualization, and ultimately her path to becoming the visual process professional we see in action today.
We’ve featured Hannah’s work on DATAVERSITY.net following the past several Enterprise Data World Conferences. Click on the buttons below to take a look at some of the murals she graphically recorded during these events.
2019 EDW Murals | 2018 EDW Murals | 2017 EDW Murals | 2016 EDW Murals
- Big Data, Disruption, and the 800-Pound Gorilla in the Corner by Michael Stonebraker, MITWinner: Luis Montero, Argonne National Lab
- Using Data Management for Business Advantages by Andrew Sohn, CrawfordWinner: Lory Mills, BCBS NC
- The Heart of Digital Transformation: Governance by Scott Buckles, IBM and Raj Thejaswi, State Street CorporationWinner: Efrain Rodriguez, Dept of Defense
- Evolving Your Data Program from Cost Center to Value Generator by George Yuhasz, Johnson & JohnsonWinner: Diana Nead, Fed Reserve Board
- Metadata-Driven Development | Vinay Badigar, TeradataWinner: Cheryl Hepp, US Transcom
- You Are Liable for Not Establishing a "Common Vocabulary" in Your Organization! | Ron Klein, Royal Bank of Canada plus panelWinner: Astrid Vitale, W.L. Gore
- Data Categorization for Data Architects | Karen Lopez, InfoAdvisorsWinner: Anthony Rango, HMS
- Using Data Quality Pilot to Launch Enterprise Data Governance and Stewardship: A Real Roadmap | Sara Willovit, John Wiley & Sons, IncWinner: Laurel Sturgest, SILA
- Rising to the Challenge of Enterprise Data Architect Leadership | John O'Brien, Radiant AdvisorsWinner: Dmitry Anoshin, ABE Books
- Bad Guy Hunting: Finding Weak Signal in Big Data | Jeff Jonas, SenzingWinner: Eric Kennedy, Fed Reserve Board
- Socializing Data Governance | Mark Horseman, Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT)Winner: Dawn Michels, Old Republic Title
- Resolving Data Definition Conflicts: A Practical Guide | Gretchen Burnham, First San Francisco PartnersWinner: Sheena Carpenter, Linamar Corp.
- Looking Forward: Challenges and Opportunities for Data in the Year Ahead | John Ladley, Sonrai Solutions plus panelWinner: Alyson Lang, HMS
- The Most Popular Approaches to Harvesting Data Lineage: What Lessons Have Been Learned? Winner: Rhonda Dizol, Office of Natural Resources Revenue
- Data Architecture: The Foundation for Enterprise Architecture and Governance Winner: Matthias Chan, Veterans United
- Data Strategy and Leadership Winner: Jennifer Wilken, Arizona State University
- Data Architecture and ModelingWinner: David Smith, New Balance
- New Tech, Blockchain, Graphs, and Ontologies Winner: Gene Boomer, Protective Insurance
- Using Data Quality Pilot to Launch Enterprise Data Governance and StewardshipWinner: Adam Kent, Dept of Defense